Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Road to Kentucky: Day 1

I left home at 0930, making sure my chains fit before I left. Two and a half hours later, I was on the Donner Pass … and it was raining, negating any need for chains.

I stopped at Reno (or more precisely Sparks) Nevada to gas up my half-empty tank (87 octane at $2.389/gal). It was a Shell station that prided themselves on having an indoor restroom which was unlocked (or I would assume it was pride … they posted a sign that read “No key required” with enough explanation marks to make it seem they were excited by offering it). Bought drinks for the road (Starbucks Mocha Frappucino and a Arizona Sweet Tea, and tacked on a Peppermint Patty when I found out they charge a quarter for any credit card charge under $3) and off I went.

Four hours later, I stopped at a Chevron in Elko, NV, the “Home of Cowboy Poetry” … apparently in January they’re having their xth annual Cowboy Poetry convention … I didn’t see a building large enough for a convention, though. This gas station had outside bathrooms that were locked, and the deadbolt was tricky to work but I figured it out. But the food mart did not charge a quarter for under $3 purchases … Here I bought 88 (88 octane? Must be an out-of-California thing ... ) for $2.699/gal.

Three hours later: Salt Lake City, Utah (except for when a UT State Trooper was tailing me … but he didn’t pull me over).

Got a room at the Hilton, used their health center (crappy treadmills), and had two beers at Lumpy’s, a membership-only sports club a block away with HDTVs in every booth; I’m not sure if it’s the membership or the local economy that got me two pints for $3 each. If you like IPAs, try a Full Suspension if you get the chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home