Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Road to Kentucky: Louisville, New Years Eve

I made it to Louisville by lunchtime, and parked in the Hyatt parking lot. I called ahead to make sure they had room. I walk in and am informed that they are not only full, but that the only rooms they have are for their New Year's party ... at $225 per person per room.

Standing in the parking lot making frantic calls to downtown hotels and not wanting to drive out to the airport hotels they recommended, I saw an SUV run a red light, get T-boned by a sedan, and flip over ... everyone was alright, but the intersection was crazy for a while.

Driving toward the airport, I started re-calling downtown hotels, hoping that someone canceled a reservation. Luck struck, and I ended up staying two blocks from the Hyatt at a Hampton Inn ... which even got me a government rate for the night.

Had a few drinks at the bar downstairs and got the lay of the land from the bartender. Then I set out: Steak dinner at Red Star Tavern, got a few recommendations for night's activities from the ladies in the next booth over, and I was off.

Little did I realize that after 9pm, I couldn't re-enter the restaurant and all the bars started charging cover. To kill time, I went to the Maker's Mark Bourbon Lounge, and inadverdantly bought a $47 glass of bourbon. Let me explain:

  1. Bartender at Hotel recommends Pappy Van Winkle, but it's too high-shelf for them.
  2. I see three different Pappies on the menu at Maker's Mark: the highest being $20 and 20 years aged.
  3. I order said drink.
  4. Bartender tells me she only has a 23-year old. I say I'll take it.
  5. She pours the drink, sets it in front of me, and rings me up.
  6. $47.00 comes up on the register.
  7. She apologizes profusely.
  8. I say I'll still take it (New Year's is only once a year, after all).
  9. She tops off my drink because she feels guilty.
  10. It was good.

Talked to a young married couple from Indiana, got some recommendations for later in the night, and left the bar.

Met up with a friend from college at a house party near U of Louisville. Champagne, dropping my camera, and meeting people ensued.

Left at 0100 to go to a bar ... I paid a cover to get in, walked through it, kept walking through it, kept walking through it, but seeing so many crowded rooms and bars, I realized I was too tired to go on.

The end.

Next: What is Fort Knox really like?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home