Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Standards

As an Army officer, your standards of living are much higher entering the service than a private. No more (for us, at least) are the World War II barracks where twenty men share a common living area, and forty men share a bathroom. Instead, I get a private room, free internet, and free cable.

A friend asked me what lodging at Fort Knox was like. Because I'm on temporary duty (TDY) they put us up in "transient lodging." I told my friend that there are nice on-post apartments, so nice that they have a full kitchen, living room, study, and bedroom, for only $48 per night (but keep in mind that all our lodging expenses are reimbursed).

I pay $43 dollars per night. What do I get?

A large hotel room, with a two-stovetop "kitchen" and a walk-in closet that leads to my bathroom. But at least I get HBO.

But then again, so do the apartments.

Both options get daily maid service, but reports suggest the apartments get the nicer maids (ones that do your dishes).

But I can't complain. My lodging is directly beside highway 31W (which runs North-South ... so a real genius decided to put a W in there to confuse people), which makes leaving the post all the easier.

Soon I'll be talking about actually learning things about tanks ... and the proof that when one of our training NCOs said, "If you've played video games, you'll do fine" was much more accurate than I would have thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home