Thursday, January 26, 2006

Swimming Pools and M16s

I got out of the pool after swimming 1200m, 400m of which I did with a "rubber duck," a rubber-and-steel replica of an M16 rifle, identical in weight and shape.

Me and the other LTs were drying ourselves off to rush to a morning formation when the Captain who ran our physical training informed us that we would wait until our last man was out. We each grabbed a rifle and started doing exercises with them: curls, presses, extensions, rotations.


A few of us must have been making funny faces, because the CPT caught on to our eagerness to get out. By now, only one of us was left in the pool, doing laps, but he wasn't quitting anytime soon.


"Two weeks ago my girlfriend broke up with me. I felt pretty miserable. But a buddy of mine called me one day after work and invited me over. We had a few brewskis and he put in Star Wars Episode III, and fast forwarded to Chapter 42 or something: Where Darth Vader, or Anakin, and Obi-Wan are about to battle it all out. And Anakin jumps at Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan cuts off his arms and legs and Anakin falls into the lava and catches on fire. And my friend turns to me and says. 'That could be you! Your life isn't that bad!'"


"PT is a privilege. You should be smiling that you're here!"

And so we kept working out.
Finally the last man climbed out and we all went home to shower.

We made it to the formation on time. Barely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home